“The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you’ll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
Most of us understand that coding is important in today’s workforce. We also understand that our society’s increased dependence upon technology creates an opportunity for job openings and job insurance.
But for those of us who don’t have the opportunity to go spend a semester at a university learning how to code, that same technology comes in handy. If you’ve got a little bit of time and motivation to set aside, you can learn how to code by yourself.
For instance, there are ample online courses like the ones curated below. They’re all from Udemy — an online marketplace for learning and teaching online, with a huge library of over 55,000 courses you can take all taught by experts. And thanks to regular sales — like the one going on right now, for the next 20 hours — you can save up to 85% off those already affordably priced courses.
If you prefer solitude that lets you stop and start at your own pace, there are plenty of books written by experts to get you started.
The important thing is to actually get started, rather than just saying one day you’ll begin. Past that point, it’s as simple as deciding which computer language to begin learning, though depending on the learner it can be much easier to pick up a second once you’ve got a handle on a first.
Below are 5 of the most important (and common) computer languages in use in the workforce today, plus both book and online course resources to help you make tangible steps toward realizing your goal:
Captions provided by Udemy and Amazon, edited for length.
1. Learn SQL
Online: The Complete Oracle SQL Certification Course
- Become job ready to start contributing as a Database Developer on day one.
- Pass the Oracle SQL Fundamentals Examinations.
- Program in the SQL Language to solve a variety of database problems.
- Be a SQL Ninja and understand how the Oracle Database works.
The Complete Oracle SQL Certification Course, $15 (originally $195)
1. Learn SQL (cont.)
By book: “SQL in 10 Minutes, Sams Teach Yourself” by Ben Forta
Expert trainer and popular author Ben Forta teaches you just the parts of SQL you need to know–starting with simple data retrieval and quickly going on to more complex topics including the use of joins, subqueries, stored procedures, cursors, triggers, and table constraints.
You’ll learn methodically, systematically, and simply–in 22 short, quick lessons that will each take only 10 minutes or less to complete.
SQL in 10 Minutes, Sams Teach Yourself (4th Edition), $26.84
2. Learn Java
Online: Complete Java Masterclass
- How to build creative, fully-functional Java 8 programs with confidence (whilst having fun, too).
- How to program the right way, cutting out the useless fluff and filler.
- How to easily write advanced programs for all computing platforms at once.
- Expert-level knowledge of Java code (+ advanced tips and tricks used by the pros).
- The core skills needed to program for big clients, as a traveling freelancer or from home.
Complete Java Masterclass, $15 (originally $195)
2. Learn Java (cont.)
By book: “Java: Learn Java in One Day and Learn It Well.” by Jamie Chan
Have you always wanted to learn computer programming but are afraid it’ll be too difficult for you? Or perhaps you know other programming languages but are interested in learning the Java language fast? This book is for you.
Complex concepts are broken down into simple steps to ensure that you can easily master the Java language even if you have never coded before.
Java: Learn Java in One Day and Learn It Well. Java for Beginners with Hands-on Project, $10.62
3. Learn Python
Online: Complete Python Bootcamp: Go from zero to hero in Python
- Learn to use Python professionally, learning both Python 2 and Python 3.
- Create games with Python, like Tic Tac Toe and Blackjack.
- Learn advanced Python features, like the collections module and how to work with timestamps.
- Learn to use Object Oriented Programming with classes.
- Understand complex topics, like decorators.
- Understand how to use both the Jupyter Notebook and create .py files.
- Get an understanding of how to create GUIs in the Jupyter Notebook system.
- Build a complete understanding of Python from the ground up.
Complete Python Bootcamp: Go from zero to hero in Python, $15 (originally $195)
3. Learn Python (cont.)
By book: “Python (2nd Edition): Learn Python in One Day and Learn It Well.” by Jamie Chan
Complex concepts are broken down into simple steps to ensure that you can easily master the Python language even if you have never coded before.
Topics are carefully selected to give you a broad exposure to Python, while not overwhelming you with information overload. These topics include object-oriented programming concepts, error handling techniques, file handling techniques and more.
With the first edition of this book being a #1 best-selling programming ebook on Amazon for more than a year, you can rest assured that this new and improved edition is the perfect book for you to learn the Python programming language fast.
Python (2nd Edition): Learn Python in One Day and Learn It Well. Python for Beginners with Hands-on Project, $11.67
- Debug your code and understand another developer’s code.
- Understand and use complex features like the ‘this’ keyword, function constructors, prototype, inheritance, first-class functions, closures, and more.
- Learn how to organize and structure your code using modules and functions, because coding is not just writing code, it’s also thinking about your code.
After each short chapter of the book, I send you to my website where, at no charge, you complete twenty interactive exercises that reinforce what’s covered in the chapter. These exercises are supervised by—what else in the age of Alexa?—algorithms. I’ve built a code-checking engine that is constantly looking over your shoulder, telling you when your code isn’t quite right and asking you to re-code.
You’ll spend two to three times as much time practicing as reading. That’s what it takes to learn to code. It’s how you wind up satisfied, confident, and proud, instead of confused, discouraged, and defeated. And since many people find doing things more enjoyable than reading things, it can be a pleasure to learn this way, quite apart from the impressive results you achieve.
5. Learn C++
Online: The Unreal Engine Developer Course – Learn C++ & Make Games
- Learn C++, the games industry standard language.
- Develop strong and transferable problem solving skills.
- Gain an excellent knowledge of modern game development.
- Learn how object-oriented programming works in practice.
- Gain a more fundamental understanding of computer operation.
The Unreal Engine Developer Course – Learn C++ & Make Games, $15 (originally $195)
5. Learn C++ (cont.)
By book: “Beginning Programming with C++ For Dummies, 2nd Edition” by Stephen R. Davis
“Beginning Programming with C++ For Dummies, 2nd Edition” gives you plain-English explanations of the fundamental principles of C++, arming you with the skills and know-how to expertly use one of the world’s most popular programming languages. You’ll explore what goes into creating a program, how to put the pieces together, learn how to deal with standard programming challenges, and much more.